Adult Social Care

Supporting people to help maintain their independence and wellbeing.

Adult social care is for anyone who may require a bit of extra support to help maintain their independence and wellbeing.

The service is overall led by Portsmouth City Council with integrated working from Solent NHS Trust, Southern Health NHS Foundation Trust and NHS Hampshire and Isle of Wight Integrated Care Board.

A range of services offer support for a huge range of different care and support needs including:

  • Older people
  • Carers
  • Autism
  • Learning disabilities (include multiple and complex)
  • Severe mental health needs
  • Dementia
  • Hearing and sight loss
  • Loneliness and isolation
  • People leaving hospital

Adult social care is also responsible for safeguarding of vulnerable adults (it oversees the Portsmouth Adults Safeguarding Board) and the Mental Capacity Act and Liberty Protection Safeguards.

You can find out about some of services offered by adult social care below. You can also visit the council website for full information about adult social care services in Portsmouth.

Activities and Social Groups

If you’d like to meet new people and make friends, there’s plenty on offer in Portsmouth to suit all ages and interests.

The council runs and facilitates a number of activities including cookery classes, a community allotment and wellbeing walks. Find out more.

You can also search for social groups and opportunities in Portsmouth on the HIVE directory.

Care needs and financial assessments

If you think you, or someone you know, may need care or support day-to-day, the first step is to get a needs assessment from the council. A needs assessment offers the chance to discuss how you are coping with day-to-day tasks and what solutions can be found to help you best maintain your independence and wellbeing.

To request an assessment, please call the adult social care helpdesk on 023 9268 0810 (Monday – Thursday 8.30am to 5pm, Friday 8.30am – 4.30pm).

You’ll generally be expected to pay towards the cost of social care. If the care assessment recommends you need support, a financial assessment will be arranged for you to see whether you can get any funding towards your care.

Find out more about care needs and financial assessments.

Care homes

There may come a time when you, or a loved one, want to consider moving into a care home or supporting housing if:

  • you are finding daily tasks an increasing struggle such as cooking, cleaning ,washing, or dressing
  • there are concerns for your safety if you continue to live in your current home
  • you’ve had a care needs assessment and a care home has been recommended.

There are two kinds of care homes: residential care homes and nursing homes. Both provide care and support 24 hours a day, with nursing homes providing a higher level of care.

The council runs three care homes in Portsmouth, and homes are also available from private providers.

Find out more about care homes in Portsmouth.


Day Centres

Day centres aim to improve the quality of life for people by helping them to be independent and be with other people, providing practical assistance and a chance to socialise, with support from staff and volunteers.

The council runs two day centres:

Royal Albert Day Centre – a specialised service for people with a diagnosis of dementia.

Sense Plus Portsmouth – for adults with profound and multiple learning disabilities.

You can find information about other activity groups and day centres in Portsmouth in the HIVE Directory.

Home Care

If you or a loved one needs a bit of care or support to help you stay living at home, you may wish to find a carer or personal assistant.

They can help with all sorts of daily tasks at home, such as:

  • getting dressed and undressed
  • getting in and out of bed
  • preparing meals and drinks
  • using the loo
  • personal care (e.g. having a bath or shower)
  • taking medication
  • helping you get out and about
  • paperwork
  • shopping, gardening or housework.

If you think a carer or personal assistant would be right for you, you can choose to:

  • contact a private care agency of your choice
  • find your own personal assistant using the
  • call the adult social care helpdesk on 023 9268 0810

If you decide on adult social care, the council will arrange a care needs assessment for you, and work together to decide what care would be best, then support you to set it up.

Find more information about receiving care at home.


Support for carers

A carer is anyone who supports a family member, friend or neighbour, in an unpaid capacity where that person could not cope without that support. If you are a carer, this can have a significant impact on your life, and you may find it useful to talk about your caring role.

Portsmouth Carers Service provides support, information, and advice to adult carers (aged 18+ years) who care for a resident of Portsmouth (PO1-PO6). The team is based at Portsmouth Carers Centre, 117 Orchard Rd, Southsea, PO4 0AD, and you can contact them via 023 9285 1864. Find out more about support for carers.

Young carers are children and young people, aged 5-17 years, who often take on practical and/or emotional caring responsibilities that would normally be expected of an adult. The Young Carers team provide weekly, half term and summer activities, which give young carers an opportunity to meet other young people in a similar situation and have a break from caring. Find out more about young carers.

Shared Lives

Shared Lives Portsmouth is a unique service managed by the council for adults who may need some extra support to maintain their independence and wellbeing, because of a learning disability, mental health issue, autism or other physical health needs.

If you use the Shared Lives service you will be able to live in the home of your Shared Lives carers for long stays or short stays – you can also have day support.

Carers can support with any daily activities you’d like help with such as cooking, budgeting, and laundry – and you will be included in their family and community life.

If you have a spare room and you are looking for a unique and rewarding role, you  could apply to be a Shared Lives carer.

Find out more about Shared Lives Portsmouth.

Safeguarding adults at risk

If you have a concern about an adult who may be at risk, you can contact the multi-agency safeguarding hub, located at the council, on 023 9268 0810. You can speak confidentially and they will be able to provide advice.

The council also runs the Portsmouth Safeguarding Adults Board, a multi-agency strategic partnership which oversees and leads adult safeguarding in Portsmouth.